I am very sure that 90% of the audience really doesn’t know what a paralegal is. It is an interesting job option that you can avail of if you have an interest in this field. As I have told you, it is a very uncommon job platform. Those who had a real interest in this field gradually went to this job. But as a job, being a paralegal is really an interesting one. You can really have fun during your work because your work is really interesting and uncommon.
As I have told you before, it is a very uncommon and interesting field. But if you are interested in this field, you have to work hard to establish yourself here. Due to its uncommon and interesting job profile, you have to be creative in your own way.
You might have thought, “What is special about this job?
Let me tell you, the job is totally interesting. You will never find a job like this. If you have an interest, then you should definitely pursue a career in this line.
So, now let’s go to the main question that you want to ask me.
What is a Paralegal?
A Paralegal is a job title where a person assists a lawyer with cases. He or she just has to assist the lawyer, and that’s all. You can use your investigative skills to help the lawyer. A paralegal assists lawyers with legal cases. Whether it’s for defending a person in a court case that’s going to trial or to present information at a city council meeting, paralegal research and prepare reports for lawyers to use in their work.
Paralegals can’t work alone; they must work under the supervision of a lawyer and can’t give legal advice. They may work in a variety of settings, such as law firms or government agencies, or for various types of organizations, like businesses or nonprofits.
See! This is a really interesting job opportunity.
There are lots of duties of a paralegal.
- Writing reports
- Drafting emails, letters, and documents
- Acquiring affidavits to be used in court
- Helping prepare legal arguments
- Researching information related to a case
- Assisting lawyers during trials
- Researching and learning about laws and regulations
- Maintaining a database of records related to each case
- Helping prepare legal arguments and legal processes.
- Preparing civil documents, like wills, real estate contracts, and divorce decrees
- Communicating with clients
These are some tasks or duties that a paralegal should have to perform.
A paralegal is basically a helper of the lawyer who will guide the lawyer in the matter of their case.
So, let’s go to a different topic or segment now.
So, we learn about the position of paralegal. We come to know the definition and the duty list. Now we will come to know that
How can one person be a paralegal?
There are many things that you need to become a paralegal. You might think that it is not for ordinary people, but let me tell you, anyone can be a paralegal. After completing 12th grade, you can take honors courses in criminology or psychology. Or you can also take honors in communication. These subjects will help you get a job as a paralegal.
There is a twist, too. There are many law firms that do not need your degree; they will select you and give you training so you can become a paralegal. After all, training is really helpful when you really apply the knowledge.
So, these are some ways in which you can be a paralegal.
Now, let’s move on to the other segment, which is:
The ways to flourish as a paralegal are:
There are many ways to flourish in this field. But always remember that it is an iconic field, so you have to use your brain here. Traditional education is not needed here. Here, your skills will be seen. Because it is a line of skills.
- A bachelor’s degree is needed. Though I have told you before that bachelor’s degree are not needed, you still have to have a bachelor’s degree in order to flourish here.
There is no rule stating that you need a degree to become a paralegal, and some firms will even train you on the job. However, as the field becomes more competitive, you’ll find that many law firms want you to have at least an associate’s degree. Many community colleges and vocational schools offer two-year programs in paralegal studies. So, you have to have a previous background in paralegal studies.
- A master’s degree: If you want to flourish in this field, then you can opt for a master’s degree. Listen, although the world tells us about the importance of skills, degrees still matter in our daily lives; without them, no office or firm will hire us. Because at the end of the day, they also came from the same place where traditional education is compulsory. So, it will be foolish if you expect them to give importance to your skills and not to your degree. So, if you want to flourish in this field, you have to have a master’s degree.
- Know a different language. Try to learn a different language. Because if you have extra knowledge, it will definitely help you flourish in this field. Speaking an international language is really a great thing.
- Try to do an internship. Internships are very important in the job market nowadays. Offices really want an internship certificate before recruiting you. So if possible, do an internship in the paralegal field; it will help you get work more often, and you will get more and more exposure.
- Communication: As I have told you before, it is a work for the public. The lawyers and paralegals are all public servants; they help us in many ways. So, in order to help us, they have to have great communication skills.
I hope you enjoy it.